Veteran Broadcast Journalist hangs up her microphone.

 

Veteran Broadcast Journalist hangs up her microphone.

By Lisalee Solomons

 

 

 

Former broadcast journalist Leigh-Anne Jansen. Picture sourced from Leigh-Anne Jansen’s Instagram account.

 

When one talks about formidable journalists in South Africa, one cannot form a list of names and not have the incredible Leigh-Anne Jansen featured. Jansen, who is born and bred in Cape Town graduated from The Cape Peninsula University of Technology with a Diploma in Journalism and has not looked back since. She’s won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year award in 2013 for her outstanding reporting on the many different stories she’s had to cover over the years, so it’s still quite surreal to not see Jansen appear on our TV screens for news updates.

I put out a call to Leigh-Anne to find out if she’d be keen to sit down with me for a one on one interview about her career, of course with any interview requests one has to sometimes wait days if not months for a response from the person whom you’ve requested an interview with. However, to my surprise, Jansen responded the same day I emailed her, her exact response was ‘Always willing to assist student journalists, lets chat!’ I remember reading her response in disbelief with my eyes literally about to pop out my eye socket! This is huge, she’s one of the most respected broadcast journalists in Cape Town, and for her to agree to do this sit down interview with me was honestly a dream come true since I am in awe of her reporting/anchoring skills. 

After back and forth emailing, we finally decided on a date and time for the interview. It was to be held at Jansen’s former workplace eNCA, in one of their boardrooms. I have met Leigh-Anne on numerous occasions when she’s out on the streets reporting and of course when I job shadowed at etv back in 2014, she’s an amazing person, very bubbly and genuinely interested in your life story even if she’s only just met you once.

We sat down opposite each other over a boardroom table separating us, as I took out my recorder to start my interview. I advised Leigh-Anne that this is just for an assignment for University and that I will not be posting it on social media, so she can be as comfortable and as open to me with her answers to my questions. She then fired back indicating social media is a powerful tool and that I should consider posting these kinds of interviews on social media because these are the kinds of things potential media houses look out for when they searching for new reporters to nurture. Of course, she made sense with this statement. I then proceeded with my first question. “You’ve been in the media industry for over 10 years, reflecting back on when you started out as a Journalist, has the media evolved in your opinion?” she smiles, “the media has absolutely evolved since I joined 15 years ago , because back then there was no social media.”

 

Picture taken off Leigh-Anne's Instagram account

At this point, I’m super calm  because our conversation is flowing, she’s giving very lengthy answers to my questions and as I’m feeding off what she’s giving me, I ask questions based on the answers she’s just given me to find out more about what she means, at this point I’m slightly shifting off my list of questions I have planned to asked her, but no worries, the interview is going great!

‘You have covered stories that involved politics, brutal murders, high profiled crime stories, random midnight drug busts with police and some Entertainment news etc... What would you say is the story that stands out the most for you?’ a slight sigh is heard coming from Jansen, ‘It would have to be the Anene Booysen story as well as the Shrien and Anni Diwani story. I cut my teeth covering both those stories because of the gruesome ways those females were murdered. The Diwani story took me somewhat 7 years to cover because it was a constant continuation of events and both parties being dragged in and out of court and then being postponed was just draining, but the story needed to be told.”

                      Leigh-Anne Jansen doing a live crossing outside the Western Cape High Court.

                      Picture sourced from Leigh-Anne Jansen’s Instagram account

 

Leigh-Anne has covered numerous protests, court cases,  gang wars, midnight drug busts with police, elections and of course the annual SONA, she has been on the frontline exposing corruption in government and then being sent out into the field to cover a variety of stories. She’s indicated on more than one occasion that she loved it, she loved meeting new people and giving them a platform to air their views. “One notable change in broadcasting LIVE is that anything can go wrong, I’ve done countless live tv crossings out in the field and the crew and I have been stoned multiple times, but that’s the nature of the job, you got to roll with he punches and deliver a good broadcast because people reply on you for information”!

 

 

 

 

 Leigh-Anne Jansen out in the field reporting alongside police officers. Picture supplied form Leigh-Anne’s Instagram account.

As the conversation continues, I’m reminded of the one night I saw a post Leigh-Anne had posted on her Facebook account indicating that she will be anchoring the 19:00 prime time news bulletin on ETV and we should all tune in, so of course I had to ask her about this.  “Anchoring a news bulleting on national TV is liberating, it’s a job on its own, and you have to be present at all times. But it is something I loved doing, the pressure is there yes, but I thoroughly enjoyed that part of my career. As our interview comes to an end, I proceeded to ask her ‘so what is next for Leigh-Anne Jansen, career wise?” at this point I had absolutely no idea that she would be hanging up her microphone as a journalist, so asking this question to her was quite over whelming when I listen back to the interview. Jansen responded with ‘who knows what’s next for me, l  know  that I’ll always be a journalist by heart, and I thoroughly enjoy my job, but at this stage Lisa, the world is my oyster and I will go where I am needed”, at this point its very hard to not hang onto every inspiring word she has to say, I stared at this beautiful woman with so much admiration. She is really a force to be reckon with, smart, bubbly and an absolutely amazing journalist.

 

As we end off the interview, Leigh-Anne signs off with ‘it’s not easy being a journalist, its definitely not all glitz and glamour, but if you love what you do, that’s a reward in itself.  I would advise anyone to become a journalist but do it for the right reason and not just because you want to be on TV or on radio.  I had no idea that when I done my first stint on radio that this is where I’d end up, but if its in your makers plan, who are you to question the plan.” She smiles at me, pulls me in for a nice warm long hug.  Looking back on that moment now, I think she knew already that her time has come to spread her wings further than journalism and at that moment she could not tell me her plan, which is understandable.  

 

Two months after my interview with Leigh-Anne, social media was abuzz with the news that Leigh-Anne Jansen has resigned from eNCA to take up the position as Community Liaison Officer of the Minister of Public Works & Infrastructure.

 

There most certainly is no stopping a woman that is determined to flourish! And we are so here for it!


You can follow Leigh-Anne on social media platforms:

Instagram: @la_jansen

Twitter: LA_Jansen

Facebook: Leigh-Anne Jansen-Mondell


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 9 Beautiful Provinces within South Africa.

Food crises remains a concern in Cape Town.